Monday, June 9, 2008

Welcome to Illinois

Dear Illinois -

I am disheartened by your absolutely ludicrous vehicle registration laws. In order to bring a purchased car in or buy one there, I have to pay $75 a year to the city of Chicago, $200 up front to Cook County, and 10% of the car's value (also up front!) to the state. And god forbid I bring in a leased car or lease one from you - then I get to pay all of the above PLUS a monthly tax that adds about $100 onto each monthly payment. Awesome. And none of this gets me a parking spot - nope, just the ability to drive my car on your streets.

Illinois, I don't think you really understand what you've done here. You are:

1) More expensive than where we live now. And we live in Southern California, considered to be one of the most expensive places to live in the country! Do you really want to beat SoCal in terms of high taxes and ridiculous fees?

2) Through our research into this car situation, we've come to learn that you and Texas are consistently grouped as the least lease-friendly states for cars, and that your ridiculous laws and regulations aren't things that ANY of the other states would DARE put into effect. Honey, do you really want to be grouped in with Texas on . . . well . . . anything?

Illinois, I hope you can find it in your heart to see the light (or the logic) and change your ways. Otherwise, I'm going to have to add you to my list of "States no one should visit and certainly shouldn't live in." Like Missouri.

Sincerely,
Rose

1 comment:

abshires in amsterdam said...

you can add VA and DC to your list. i managed to keep my CA license/plate for awhile, which saved me a few hundred dollars. :)