Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Further proof that the war hasn't ended . . .

Not the one in Iraq. The one here - you know, blue and grey, north and south, blah blah blah.

Being raised in the Georgia, I am quite familiar with southern sentiment regarding the 'war of northern aggression.' And having made a lot of friends not from the south, I've noticed that they find this amusing or different. What I've never heard anyone say is "oh yeah, they're totally like that up north too, just for the other side."

But perhaps they are - we took a trip up to Chicago's north shore neighborhoods yesterday, and walked around Northwestern's campus. We noticed a man on campus whose t-shirt was emblazoned with these words "American by birth . . . Union until death."

Now maybe he meant 'union' in terms of a group of people working together for higher pay and better working conditions, but the graphic design on the back of his shirt makes me doubt that . . .

No comments: